Finished Item: Shawshank Socks

Those of you who know me, also know that I am a latecomer to knitting socks - bearing in mind how long I have been knitting!  However I am growing to love them and this love has been re-enforced by my latest finished pair!

These are my Shawshank Socks which I finished a few days ago and which I think may be my favourite pair of socks to date!

The pattern is Rye from the Simple Collection - a FREE - yes I will say it again FREE pattern by the fabulous designers who make up Tincanknits.  I am a huge fan of their work and so amazed that they offer so much for free!  The patterns and simple, yet stylish and written in such a way as to make them suitable for even the most novice knitter.  Rye would be a fabulous pattern for anyone who has never knitted a pair of socks before - there will be no nightmares about turning a heel!

Of course a huge added benefit to knitting any pair of socks is the speed that they knit up!  I have been known to need a large gin and tonic to persuade me onto a second sock when I am knitting 3ply on toothpicks (yes the Earl Grey sock by the fabulous Stephanie Purl McPhee did in fact end up being a lonesome sock because I could not bear the thought of casting on the second - although I was making it for my Dad who has size 11 feet so that did have something to do with it - it ended up frogged nevertheless!).

Anyway the speed of these socks was fan-blooming-tastic as they were knit in The Plucky Knitter Primo Worsted!  This yarn came to me as part of the Plucky club which I joined a while ago. This particular yarn colour was inspired by the Shawshank Redemtion - one of my very favourite films - and the colour is called Hope is a Good Thing - a fabulous bright blue which makes me very happy!  I have quite a bit of The Plucky Knitter yarn due to the club - and I have to say each and every skein has made me happy - the colours are great and the high twist makes for good stitch definition.  You may remember that my Follow Your Arrow shawl in one of my previous posts was Plucky! Do check her shop out here on Etsy but be warned - she sells out fast!  The socks took me just over one skein and they are plenty big enough as I did the medium size (and I do have quite big feet - 40 EUR!) if you wanted your socks a little more snug even at my size I think knitting a small in this yarn would work and then you could probably get away with one skein as there are 200yds in each.  So now I have 75% of a skein left and I will see what I can do with it - probably not a hat, not enough for that, but fingerless gloves or a headband might well work.........

Anyway big thumbs up to the pattern and the yarn from me!

Warm and Cozy

I added re-enforced heel as I will wear them with walking boots

Look how lovely and crisp this yarn is - great stitch definition!

2 comments:

Wendy Bayford said...

Oooh they are lovely, such a gorgeous colour yarn! I have been knitting for a fair while now and, socks still allude me, I have put them on my new years resolution at least twice, but as yet haven't plucked up the courage!

Louiseluvsyarn said...

You should really give these a go - I promise they will ease you into sock knitting nicely!!