Beginnings




Well I am a bit late to the party (as ever...) on this weeks #loveyourblog challenge!  I'll give the same excuses as before, too much work blah blah blah blah - you don't want to hear it!!!

Anyway I have been thinking about the subject of 'Beginnings' and of course there has to be a beginning to everything.....

I keep singing from Sound of Music in my head:

 "Lets start at the very beginning, a very good place to start........"

"When you sing you begin with A.B.C. - when you knit you begin with L.T.C."

That's how it goes....right?

Well actually No....... I did not begin with Long Tail Cast-on!

I was taught to knit by my darling recently departed Mum and she was a stickler for cable cast on - well to be honest I am not sure she even knew that there was any other way!  So for everything I did, cable cast on was my friend - although sometimes it wasn't!  Its a fabulously neat cast on and for something like a rolled edge then it works really well - but there is pretty much no stretch in it whatsoever and for many years I carried on in the same way......

Then my eyes were opened to Long Tail Cast on - not always appropriate when casting on a very large number of stitched, but it was a bit stretchier! From there on in I went on to discover all manner of cast ons, German Twisted, Picot, knitted, icord - the list goes on and on!

So I was not too surprised when I saw on a recent trawl through Amazon that this book exists!! 211 ways!!!!



For the time being I won't be purchasing this though - I am on a mission to simplify my life and not make it more complicated!

I would really love to try some of the prettier cast on edgings though:


And trusty Pinterest has come up with these:




So Beginnings could be looking very bright...........until they morph into WIPs and then UFOs.........

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was late to the party too! And, I often sing songs from the Sound of Music when I'm pysching myself up for something - I hum I Have Confidence in Me many times on my way to court. Anyway, if you start out with a cabled cast on, I suppose every cast on after that is easy peasy - your Mum gave you a great foundation!

Preeti said...

Some of the cast ons you mentioned are new to me. Channel island cast on... whodathunk!

Unknown said...

Well i only know one way to cast on and i have no idea what it is called. Thanks for the insight i never knew i was missing so much